Murchison falls national park is located in the north-western Uganda spreading inland from the shores of Lake Albert, around Victoria Nile up to the Karuma falls. The park is the largest in Uganda it measures 3,893 km2 (1,503 sq. mi). It is bisected by the Victoria Nile from east to west for a distance of nearly 115 kilometre
The National park is in the location of the Murchison falls, where the pure waters of the Nile the Nile flow via a narrow gorge only 7metres (141 ft.). The park is adjacent to Gulu-Masindi Highway where karuma falls is found. Murchison Falls National Park and the adjacent Bugondo Forest have 76 species of mammals and has the largest population of crocodiles, it has 450 birds species available ranging from easy variety of water birds, plus the rare shoe-billed stork, dwarf kingfisher, great blue turaco Goliath heron and white-thighed hornbill
James Grant and John Speke were the first Europeans to pay a visit to the Murchison Falls National Park in 1862 when it was still called Kabalega National par. It was deep discovered by Florence Baker in 1863-4. Baker named the falls Murchison Falls after the geologist Roderick Murchison, then the president of Royal Geographical Society.
In the years 1907 and 1912 inhabitants of an area of about 13000 square kilometres (5000 sq. mi)
Were displaced due to sleeping sickness spread by tsetse flies. The Bunyoro Game Reserve was created in 1910 south of River Nile. That area roughly said to be part of Murchison Falls National Park in the districts of BULIISA, MASINDI, and KIRYANDONGO
The boundaries were extended north of the river into the modern-day Nwoya District
After the British administration established the National parks act in 1952 the described area above became Murchison Falls National Park