Why you should add Lake Mutanda to your to do list while visiting Bwindi impenetrable National Park and Mountain Virunga National park for Gorilla Trekking.
Lake Mutanda is simply one of the most scenic Lakes in all of Africa – simply amazing, stunning, and yet for many visitors to Uganda it is off of the beaten path and most never venture here. Those that do find a magical, scenic paradise that is beyond any imagination
Truly gifted by nature, Lake Mutanda is studded with emerald isles, the Virunga Volcanoes tower around it, gentle breezes, cool, yet sunny climate, activities in abundance – Lake Mutanda should be on your travel bucket list of things to do and see in Uganda…you will never regret visiting Lake Mutanda. Lake Mutanda is the perfect add-on to your Gorilla Trekking Safari in Southern Bwindi Forest before your departure flight. The Lake is just 5-hours from Kigali International Airport and while you here you can enjoy some of the many activities here or just relax and chill out as you take a cool drink.
After the Gorilla Trek, after a Volcano Climb, the hike through Bwindi impenetrable Forest it is time to relax and chill out along the shores of Lake Mutanda in the shadows of the brooding Virunga Volcanoes, the Mufumbiro Mountains in the local language, the Mountains that cook. Tourism wise these Mountains cook up an amazing scenery and lots of activities for on to undertake while in their stay at Lake Mutanda.
Have a cooling and refreshing drink a whisky, a fresh glass of Juicy or our very own Nile special made from the source of the Nile, taste a delicious deep fried Tilapia. Enjoy your Surroundings, some locally grown Coffee or mellow Tea plantation sight is a calming site to view at while unwinding from the long Gorilla trekking adventure trip you just had. Whether you are right on the lake in a lodge such as Mutanda Lake Resort or higher up at Chameleon Hill Lodge, the beauty of what is before will truly stay heavenly. Lake Mutanda is truly a marvel of beauty and one of a kind in the World.
Attractions around Lake Mutanda.
- Mountain Virunga: Lake Mutanda is boarded n its South by Mt Virunga National Park- is home to a lot of wildlife and endangered species. These are so special to spot and trek such as the Mountain Gorillas, numerous bird species that are unique to this region.
- Bwindi impenetrable Forest National Park: The world’s largest habitant of Mountain Gorillas with at least a half of the world’s total population of all Mt Gorillas both habituated and wild Gorilla families. Bwindi Impenetrable more so is well known for its chimpanzee trekking alongside Bird watching experience.
- African Culture tourism and village home stays: Lake Mutanda is located in an area with lots of cultures and traditions that a tourist would experience while on their visit to Lake Mutanda. Hereby the tourist would get a first-hand experience of an African village set up. Learn numerous cultural norms and traditions.
Activities to be done while visiting Lake Mutanda
- Canoeing, the tourists are to have an awesome canoeing activity as the coneo in locally crafted coneos made out of tree trunks, such an exciting act to move you day up. Camp fi Lake Mutanda is a fabulous lake to explore with a canoe and visit some of the islands – go birding, you can swim here – simply enjoy the lake whether you are on top of it in a boat, or swimming in it.
- Cape fires alongside Music dance and drama, The great ambiance of the beautifully constructed lodges, these offer entertainment to their clients in form of traditional dances made by the tride dance groups greatly portraits the Africans were of traditional entertainment and leisure.
- Sports-Fishing: it’s not a major tourism activity on Lake Mutanda nevertheless the scenic setting alone has attracted some of our client to dip a line into the water here and some have been successful catching lunch or dinner. You can always fish at Lake Mutanda especially if you are staying right on the lake as at Mutanda Lake Resort and if the fish do not strike, there the is scenery around you.
- Hiking around Lake Mutanda, Lake Mutanda and the surrounding Highlands are a Hiker’s Paradise. Hiking around and to Lake Mutanda – one of the most fabulous hikes is a two-day hike from Buhoma to Nkuringo and then on the second day down to Lake Mutanda and a canoe trip across the lake before it ends.
- Mountain biking at Lake Mutanda. Bike rides can be quite challenging – we can bring along mountain bikes for you that you can use while at Lake Mutanda or bikes can be rented in Kisoro. Either way, it will be a most exhilarating experience for you. The terrain around Lake Mutanda is not flat, mountain biking is the appropriate term for biking in this area. We can arrange a picnic lunch for you that we bring along and set up for you. The other choice is to have lunch at a restaurant in Kisoro or at another lodge or hotel during your biking day.
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park Adventure, From Lake Mutanda it a short distance to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park which is a small park with many activities such as the famous interactive Batwa Trail where you learn the ways of the Batwa People, there is Volcano Climbing on three Volcanoes from 5 to 8 hour day-hikes, golden monkey tracking, gorilla tracking, nature walks and hikes, birding and more. Mgahinga Gorilla Park is synonymous with Gorilla Trekking, Golden Monkey trekking and Volcano Climbing. All within one an hour’s drive time from a lodge along Lake Mutanda.
Accessibility of Lake Mutanda
Kigali national airport Rwanda one can fly to Kigali National airport and be picked up then taken to Lake Mutanda driven by road for 5 hours.
Road, the lake Mutanda can be reached by road, driving for 9-10hours from Kampala capital city as the tourist can utilize this long drive to spot different attractions along the way.